Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Picasso Blue Period Guitars

Hello there!
So this is the first time I have ever tried this lesson, and the kids really seemed to like it!
We discussed a few of Picasso's artworks from his Blue Period - why do you think he used those colors, how do the paintings make you feel, etc. It lead to some really nice discussions!  We then drew our guitars, and used different shades of blue to paint them.

I decided to do the collage portion in stations, where each table in the classroom would have a different collage element on it. We practiced transitioning to each table (which seemed to help a lot - I didn't practice with the first class! eek! Learn by doing!) We also discussed what mixed-media means, and the different textures we could put on our guitars (corrugated cardboard, felt, construction paper, bubble wrap prints, etc.)

A problem I encountered was we could not get to all the stations in one class period. I tried to time it out correctly, but there are always a few who need a bit more time to cut or glue, and rushing is a huge no-no in the Art room! The last work day for this project sort of turned into a free-for-all, where students just went to the collage element they were missing to finish it up.  I think I need to manage my time a little better next time around!

Some of these are not quite finished, but I couldn't resist posting!









No comments:

Post a Comment