Monday, May 26, 2014

Tar Beach!

Love me some cross-curriculum connections!
 The lovely librarians asked me if I could relate an Art lesson to their first grade Caldecott unit for Reading Week this year. I spotted Tar Beach by Faith Ringgold, and jumped on it! In Art, we talked about the meaning of a "tar beach", and the different ways the main character used her imagination in the story. 
We then, as a class, named different places we would love to fly over, and make our own. They came out wonderfully!  
Next time, I might have them look up different places and landmarks for more of a 
variety of locations - there were a lot of bird's eye views of Paris the first time around! Here are some of the results from the Tar Beach lesson! 

   








Thanks for stopping by the blog! Please come back soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment